Mud being one of the five elements forming the body, can affect its health. That’s why mud is one of the core components of Naturopathy. Mud is essential for keeping the physical and mental balance of the body.
Mud is a mixture of organic and inorganic matter and moisture. Since it has undergone geographical and biological processes, it is rich in minerals.
Mud Therapy usually done by applying mud poultice, or mud packs(similar to face packs of multani mitti) or by taking mud baths.
How Mud Therapy works?
- Mud gives coolness to the body because it has capacity to retain water
- Mud dilutes and absorbs the toxic substances of the body
- It changes the state of toxins so that they can be easily eliminated from body
- It reduces the rigidity of muscles, softens the hard tissues and dissolves hard fatty glands within body
- The organic and inorganic substances in the mud are safe biological substances for skin protection
- Mud improves skin condition by increasing circulation and energizing skin tissues
- Mud contains many kinds of minerals including calcium, magnesium, Potassium, organic elements and silicates. The presence of these helps in healing skin disorders
- Presence of silicates helps in softening and cleansing the skin
- Mud modifies nitric oxide, myeloperoxidase and glutathione peroxidase serum levels in arthritic patients and beta-endorphin and stress hormones in osteoarthritis patients by reducing inflammation, pain and therefore the cause of stress.
- Mudpack relieves indigestion , decreases intestinal heat, and stimulates peristalsis
- Mud is a good hair conditioner and is rich in minerals for their nourishment
Preparation of Mud Poultice to be used for mud packs
- Mud should be taken from about 150 cm below the surface of ground.
- Mud should be free from contamination of stone pieces and chemical manures.
- Mud should be dried in sun rays, powdered and sieved
- Soak mud in a big vessel for 30 minutes to 1 hr
- Knead like dough and roll out a layer of 1 cm thickness on a clean muslin cloth
- The mud poultice to be applied directly on skin should be about 1 cm thick
Application of mud packs
The mud pack is applied locally on face, eyes, abdomen, knees, ankles, forehead , head or on affected area. It is applied for 20-30 minutes and then either washed off with water or wiped off with wet cloth. During winters, the body should be immediately warmed by rubbing or covering.
Mud Packs for different disease conditions
1.Head ache - Apply Mud poultice on head.
2.Boils – Apply on affected area
3.Fever - Apply mud poultice on forehead head and on abdomen
4.Constipation – Apply mud poultice on pelvis below umbilical region of abdomen
5.Eyes – apply on closed eyes to relax the eyes tired after seeing lot of computer, it also may help I correcting long/short sightedness
6.High Blood Pressure – take mud bath to improve blood circulation
7.Face – apply like a facepack. Helps to reduce acne, dark circles as it absorbs excess oil and toxins from skin. Brings glow to skin and removes age spots
8.Indigestion, Diarrhea, – apply on abdomen for 40-50 mins
9.Skin Diseases (eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis) - take mud baths regularly for 2 weeks
10.Insomnia – take mud bath to relax and get good sleep
11.Pain relief and functional improvement in Knee pains, spondylitis and other osteoarthritis conditions - Take mud bath regularly
12.Detoxification of scalp and hair – apply mud pack on head
13.Anxiety – Take mud bath to relax and de stress
Inspired by the natural way of living in the Village Hurlung, we attempt to prepare products which are naturally therapeutic.
The villagers here have since time immemorial been using chita mitti to wash off their hair and body. You can find a bag of chitta mitti in every village home. While going for bath to the village pond, the people take a small piece of it in a small bowl. The mitti is soaked in the water for a few minutes and then used to scrub the body and head. The villagers share that the women always had long and black hair, when they used only this clay to wash off their hair. But as they started using the commercial shampoos they no longer had long hair.
Hair Wash Riverbed Clay For Daily Detoxification and Nourishment
Neev’s River Bed Clay is dug out from the particular part of the Suvarnarekha river, from where the villagers have been taking the chitta mitti since ages. It then dried in sun, powdered, sieved and packed.
Benefits : This clay is naturally rich in minerals, and removes toxins from hair leaving them very clean. The clay has natural ability to remove frizz and make the hair shiny and voluminous. The clay makes the hair, soft, black, shiny and thicker.
Net Weight : 100 gms