Strange is the curriculum of modern education. We give our lives studying sciences, biology and get degrees that we boast off with pride. And yet we are so ignorant about our own bodies. A little sneeze, or a common fever and we are off to the doctor’s clinic for our treatment. All our detailed studies in biology come to no help for even the most trivial of health problems.
Twenty five hundred years back, when people had not learnt to specialize in the Sciences, they could observe the condition of their bodies and discern the herbs in their environment which would heal their ailment. It was then that Hippocrates said that…
“Health is the expression of harmonious balance between various components of man’s nature, the environment and ways of life. Nature is the physician of disease.”
In India, during the freedom struggle times, Gandhiji felt the need for a system of treatment of common diseases which was easily affordable and available for all people alike. He, being the practical man he was, propagated taking up health into ones own hand by using natural remedies. In his book, “Guide to Health”, Gandhiji told that it is the duty of all to strive for perfect health by learning simple facts about their bodies and environment and putting to practice this knowledge. He said that
“True happiness is impossible without true health. And true health is impossible without a rigid control of palate. All the other senses will automatically come under control when the palate has been brought under control. And he who has conquered himself, has conquered the whole world and he has become a part of God.”
Here we share with you some facts about Naturopathy, the traditional way of healing.
Naturopathy can simply be understood as home remedy. It is done without using any medicine, scientific instruments and without spending much money. Naturopathy is based on the following principles..
- Nature has its own innate ability to heal.
- For any disease, there is an underlying cause – physical or psychological- which needs to be identified and eliminated.
- Naturopathy views the person as a whole while identifying and curing the disease.
- Naturopathy entrusts the responsibility of treatment of disease to the patient himself. It transfers the power of healing from the doctor to the patient.
- Naturopathy believes in the age old saying “Prevention is better than cure”. It urges the patient to make lifestyle changes so that the disease doesn’t even set in.
- Naturopathy treatments do not create any other harmful conditions or side effects.
- Naturopathy does not suppress the disease. It attempts to eliminate the disease causing toxins from the body.
- Naturopathy believes more in a general treatment of the body rather than the specific treatment of a disease.
- The method of Naturopathy uses water, mud, heat, air, wind, light, sunlight, massage, exercises, postures, pranayam, fasting, rest, dietary control.
Some famous people who believe/d in and practice/d Naturopathy..
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Morarji Desai
- Narendra Modi
- Suchitra Sen